Sunday, November 20, 2011

Above the Influence

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Above The Influence campaign that's been around for what seems like forever. Their campaign is mostly made up of commercials, but I have seen quite a few billboards posted in various spots around the city. I will only be featuring one of these commercials in my post, however. I found this commercial especially interesting because I think it's really going way too far to scare kids into not drinking.



The way this video is set up paints a horrible picture about what would happen if you were to possibly experiment with alcohol. There are definitely better ways of passing on the message to teens that drinking is bad, besides this one. This really just scares kids and also makes those who may have already experimented with it, feel like they've really made a huge mistake in their life. I especially don't like the bit about how your life is virtually over if you succumb to peer pressure and drink as a teen. Isn't that a bit drastic? Shouldn't teens be reached in a more careful and healthy way? That way, the message will truly be in their minds as something that may not be something they want to do as a teen.

Many of their other commercials seem to be pushing the box a little too much with the scare tactics. But, like I said above, I think this commercial is the best example of that. These types of campaigns should reach children in a healthy and smart way instead of showing images of girls throwing up pictures and trophies from various points in her life. It's a bit silly and I don't think the message will resonate well with children/teens. Hopefully some new commercials and billboards will be coming out soon with a better message. But as of right now, I'm very disappointed with this campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment